HOUSTON HEALTH DEPARTMENT
City of Houston | Overview
This is a quick reference guide for the general city of Houston guidelines for new swimming pool construction. As a Houston homeowner, you want to make sure that you know what the requirements are so that no corners are cut. As a pool builder you may need quick access to this to make sure you have what is needed.
Harris County Minimum Standards for Residential Pool Plan Submission
- Submit 2 complete sets of plans
- Submit a plot survey that includes the address and the fence line, Highlight the entire fence line and all gates for primary pool yard enclosure. Chapter 43, Section 43-33 of the City of Houston Code of Ordinances mandates that all gates must be “self-closing” and “self-latching,” meaning that all gates will automatically close and latch without human or electrical power after it has been opened.
- Show pool construction company/contractor on each page of plans.
- Provide name and address of pool owner on each page of plans.
- Specify the color of the plaster of sides and bottom of pools and spas. Plaster color should be white or other light color.
- Specify the filter type(s).
- Specify backwash through p-trap to sanitary sewer for all diatomaceous earth (DE) and high-rate sand (HRS) filters.
- All skimmers must be shown on plan.
- Indicate chlorination or sanitation system.
- All main drains must be ANSI/APSP-16 2011 (VGB compliant). This rating must be shown on plans.
- Specify pump horsepower and/or flow rates
- Specify the type of backflow prevention device on pool fill line (6-inch or greater air gap, check valve on water to cutoff valve, or siphon breaking valve downstream to cutoff valve).
- Show the hose bib(s) in pool area. Specify backflow prevention for hoses in pool area.
- Provide fence and gate details (drawings) for all types of fencing to be used (wood, wrought iron, existing chain link etc.).
- All Plans must provide pool measurements and total pool gallons for each pool/
Swimming Pool Standards in Houston Texas: https://www.houstontx.gov/health/Environmental/residential_pools.html
HOUSTON RESIDENTIAL SWIMMING POOLS
- Pool to be fenced in accordance to the 2006 International Residential Code.
- No opening or gaps in either direction to be greater than 4″.
- Gate/Door to be self-dosing & self-latching with latches in upper right quarter.
HOUSTON SWIMMING POOL INSPECTORS
We do not work for the city of Houston. We specialize in third party swimming pool inspections in Houston and the surrounding areas. If you are buying a new home, or need to have your public pool inspected for a real estate transaction we are the guys to call. More details about our swimming pool inspection services.
More Info about pool inspections in Houston: https://www.txpoolinspectors.com/coverage-areas/texas/houston-swimming-pool-inspections/